Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Letter of Enos Hammer of Company G, 7th Iowa Cavalry, June 3, 1864

Topeka Kansas
June 3rd, 1864

Dear Father

I take the present opportunity to write you a few lines to let you know that I am well at present. We started from Fort Riley the 30th and arrived here this morning. Between here and Fort Riley the country is principally settled by Indians and half breeds they have large farms are pretty nice houses.

It looks curious to see Indians plowing corn. Topeka is the capital of Kansas. It is on the south side of the Kansas River 75 miles below Fort Riley. Our quarters are in the 3rd story of the statehouse. It is about the center of town I have got a big bile boil and it is big again as it ought to be I have not any time to write anymore for we have to clean up

Yours truly,
Enos Hammer

 Write soon and let me know where them folks lives at in Kansas. It may be that we ain't very far from them.

Direct
Co. G 7 Iowa
Topeka Kansas

No comments: