Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Abraham Lincoln to Major General George B. McClellan, June 21, 1862

WASHINGTON, June 21, 18626 p. m.

Your dispatch of yesterday (2 p.m.) was received this morning. If it would not divert too much of your time and attention from the army under your immediate command I would be glad to have your views as to the present state of military affairs throughout the whole country, as you say you would be glad to give them. I would rather it should be by letter than by telegraph, because of the better chance of secrecy. As to the numbers and positions of the troops not under your command in Virginia and elsewhere, even if I could do it with accuracy, which I cannot, I would rather not transmit either by telegraph or letter, because of the chances of its reaching the enemy. I would be very glad to talk with you, but you cannot leave your camp and I cannot well leave here.

A. LINCOLN,
President.

Maj. Gen. GEORGE B. McCLELLAN.


SOURCES: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 1 (Serial No. 12), p. 48.

No comments: