Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Brigadier General Ulysses S. Grant to Mary Frances Grant, September 25, 1861

Cairo, September 25th, 1861

Dear Sister:

I have just received your last letter, also another written by you about one month ago, which has followed me around until at length it reached this place. I am very well, but have no news to communicate.

I had extended my lines nearly half way to Columbus and made reconnoissances frequently to within sight of the rebel camps, but my force has to be so reduced that it would be imprudent to make an attack now until I am reinforced.

I hope some day, if I am allowed to retain this command, to give a good account of ourselves. Simpson’s death, though looked for for the last two years, causes me a great deal of sadness. The day I heard of it, I received a number of letters from Galena. In two or three of them his arrival at St. Paul was noted, and it was stated that he was no better. Our family has been peculiarly blessed up to this time. But few families of the same number have gone so many years without the loss of a single member.

I expect Father here as soon as Orvil returns to Galena.

BROTHER ULYS.

SOURCE: Jesse Grant Cramer, Editor, Letters of Ulysses S. Grant to His Father and His Youngest Sister, 1857-78, p. 59-60

No comments: