Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ulysses S. Grant to Jesse Root Grant, May 30, 1861

Galena,
May 30th. 1861.

Dear Father:

I have now been home nearly a week, but return to Springfield to-day. I have tendered my services to the Government and go today to make myself useful, if possible, from this until all our National difficulties are ended.

During the six days I have been at home I have felt all the time as if a duty were being neglected that was paramount to any other duty I ever owed. I have every reason to be well satisfied with myself for the services already rendered, but to stop now would not do.

All here are well. Orvil or Lank will write to you in a day or two and tell you how business matters stand. Write to me at Springfield.

Yours truly,
U. S. GRANT.

SOURCE: Jesse Grant Cramer, Editor, Letters of Ulysses S. Grant to His Father and His Youngest Sister, 1857-78, p. 38-9

No comments: