Wednesday, March 19, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., September 21, 1849

LONDON, Sept. 21, 1849.

DEAR SON JOHN, — I have nothing new to write excepting that I am still well, and that on Monday a lot of No. 2 wool was sold at the auction sale, at from twenty-six to twenty-nine cents per pound. This is a bad sale, and I have withdrawn all other wools from the market, or public sales. Since the other wools have been withdrawn, I have discovered a much greater interest among the buyers, and I am in hopes to succeed better with the other wools; but cannot say yet how it will prove on the whole. I have a great deal of stupid, obstinate prejudice to contend with, as well as conflicting interests, both in this country and from the United States. I can only say that I have exerted myself to the utmost, and that if I cannot effect a better sale of the other wools privately I shall start them back. I believe that not a pound of No. 2 wool was bought for the United States; and I learn that the general feeling is now that it was quite undersold. About one hundred and fifty bales were sold. I regret that so many bales were put up; but it cannot be helped now, for after wool has been subjected to a London examination for public sale, it is very much injured for selling again. The agent of Thirion, Mailard, & Co., has been looking at them to-day, and seemed highly pleased; said he had never seen superior wools, and that he would see me again. We have not yet talked about price. I now think I shall begin to think of home quite in earnest at least in another fortnight, possibly sooner. I do not think the sale made a full test of the operation. Farewell.

Your affectionate father,
JOHN BROWN

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 72-3

No comments: