Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, February 15, 1863

HEADQUARTERS FIFTH ARMY CORPS, February 15, 1863.

I thought this afternoon I would not have to write to you, for I got a note from Hooker, saying he could spare me for seven days and telling me to apply. I immediately did so, sending in the same application which he had twice refused. At the same time I wrote to him, that I did not desire to go, if there was the slightest reason to believe I should be wanted. It will be too much happiness to get home for a few days and be with you and the dear children.

I have had an application from young Jay,1 of New York, to come upon my staff, as an extra aide. He was appointed an additional aide-de-camp at the time the law authorized such appointments, and has been serving with General Morrell. That officer having been deprived of his command, Captain Jay has applied to me. I told him, if the War Department would assign him, I should be glad to have him.
___________

1 William Jay.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 354-5

No comments: