Friday, March 21, 2014

Major General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Meade, February 26, 1863

BUREAU TOP. ENG. (WASHINGTON, D. C.), February 26, 1863.

The train never reached this place until ten o'clock, instead of six-thirty as due. In consequence I missed the boat. As there is none till to-morrow morning at 8 A. M., thus detaining me here all day. This is annoying, because I wished to set the example of a prompt and punctual return within the time allowed me, whereas now I shall be one day behind time, and this is the more disagreeable because there is a report in town that the enemy's cavalry have appeared in force this side of the Rappahannock. This is only a raid, as they cannot possibly be so foolish as to attempt any advance this side of the river, at this season of the year. The first person I met at the hotel was Cram, and I am going to dine with him to-day. I next met Sykes, who is up here on a court-martial. I am now writing a few lines to give you the news, am going to see Mrs. Turnbull and then shall dine with Cram.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 1, p. 355

No comments: