Saturday, April 12, 2014

Major-General George B. McClellan to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, August 30, 1862 – 2:10 p.m.

CAMP NEAR ALEXANDRIA,
August 30, 18622.10 p.m.

I know nothing of the calibers of Pope's artillery. All I can do is to direct my ordnance officer to lead up all the wagons sent to him. I have already sent all my headquarters wagons. You will have to see that wagons are sent from Washington. I can do nothing more than give the order that every available wagon in Alexandria shall be loaded at once.

The order to the brigade of Sumner that I directed to remain near Chain Bridge and Tennallytown should go from your headquarters to save time. I understand you to intend it also to move. I have no sharpshooters except the guard around my camp I have sent off every man but those, and will now send them with the train as you direct. I will also scud my only remaining squadron of cavalry with General Sumner. I can do no more. You now have every man of the Army of the Potomac who is within my reach.

GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 1 (Serial No. 12), p. 101

No comments: