Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Major-General George B. McClellan to Major-General Henry W. Halleck, September 17, 1862 – 1:20 p.m.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
September 17, 1862 1.20 p.m. (Received 5 p.m.)
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:

Please take military possession of the Chambersburg and Hagerstown Railroad, that our ammunition and supplies may be hurried up without delay. We are in the midst of the most terrible battle of the war – perhaps of history. Thus far it looks well, but I have great odds against me. Hurry up all the troops possible. Our loss has been terrific, but we have gained much ground. I have thrown the mass of the army on the left flank. Burnside is now attacking the right, and I hold my small reserve, consisting of Porter's (Fifth) corps, ready to attack the center as soon as the flank movements are developed. I hope that God will give us a glorious victory.

GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-general, Commanding.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 19, Part 2 (Serial No. 28), p. 312

No comments: