Friday, April 11, 2014

Major-General Henry W. Halleck to Major-General George B. McClellan, August 27, 1862

WASHINGTON, D.C., August 27, 1862.
Major General MCCLELLAN,  Alexandria, Va.:

I have already advised you to bring up Sumner's corps. Perhaps we may also bring up Burnside's, if deemed necessary. General Barnard has all the troops he asked for at the forts, but I can give you no details I have sent for him to consult with you; nor do I know about the Bull Run Bridge. From your knowledge of the whole country about here you can best act. I have had no time to obtain such knowledge.

There is no cavalry here, or, rather, only part of a small battalion. One company has been sent to scout up the river toward Edwards Ferry. It is very likely to be cut off.

As you must be aware; more than three-quarters of my time is taken up with the raising of new troops and matters in the West. I have no time for details. You will therefore, as ranking general in the field, direct as you deem best; but at present orders for Pope's army should go through me.
Gunboats are at Aquia Creek.

H. W. HALLECK,
General-in. Chief

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 12, Part 3 (Serial No. 18), p. 691

No comments: