Saturday, April 12, 2014

Major-General Henry W. Halleck to Major-General George B. McClellan, August 31, 1862 – 10.7 p.m.

Washington, August 31, 1862 10.7 p.m.

Since receiving your dispatch, relating to command, I have not been able to, answer any not of absolute necessity. I have not seen the order as published, but will write to you in the morning. You will retain the command of everything in this vicinity not temporarily belonging to Pope's army in the field.

I beg of you to assist me in this crisis with your ability and experience. I am utterly tired out.

H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief.
General McCLELLAN.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 11, Part 1 (Serial No. 12), p. 102-3

No comments: