Thursday, July 24, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., March 12, 1847

Springfield, March 12, 1847.

Dear Son John, — Yours dated Feb. 27th I this day received. It was written about the same time I reached this place again. I am glad to learn that you are relieved in a good measure from another season of suffering. Hope you will make the right improvement of it. I have been here nearly two weeks. Have Captain Spencer, Freeman, the Hudsons, together with Schlessingcr and Ramsden, all helping me again. Have turned about four thousand dollars’ worth of wool into cash since I returned; shall probably make it up to seven thousand by the 16th. Sold Musgrave the James Wallace lot yesterday for fifty-eight cents all round. Hope to get pretty much through by the middle of April. Have paid your account for the “Cincinnati Weekly Herald and Philanthropist,” together with two dollars for one year's subscription to “National Era,” being in all three dollars. I should have directed to have the “National Era” sent you at Austinburg, but could not certainly know as you would be there to take it. You had better direct to have it sent to you there. I now intend to send Ruth on again soon after my return. Jason writes on the 3d that all are well at home. I feel better than when I left home, and send my health to all in and about Austinburg.

Yours affectionately,
John Brown.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 143

No comments: