Monday, July 28, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., March 24, 1851

Vernon, Oneida Co., N. Y., March 24, 1851.

Dear Son John, — I now enclose draft on New York for fifty dollars, which I think you can dispose of to some of the merchants for a premium at this time in the season. I shall pay you the balance as soon as I can; but it may be out of my power until after we sell our wool, which I think there is a prospect now of doing early. I hope to get through here so as to be on our way again to Ohio before the week closes, but want you and Jason both to hold on and take the best possible care of the flock until I do get on, at any rate. I wrote you last week that the family is on the road: the boys are driving on the cattle, and my wife and the little girls are at Oneida Depot, waiting for me to go on with them.1

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.

1 The family were removing from North Elba to Akron, leaving Ruth and her husband, Henry Thompson, in the Adirondac woods.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 145

No comments: