Wednesday, July 23, 2014

John Brown to Ruth Brown Thompkins, January 5, 1847

Springfield, Mass., Jan 5, 1847.

Dear Daughter Ruth, —Yours dated the 20th and Jason's dated the 16th of December were both received in season, and were very grateful to our feelings, as we are anxious to hear from home often, and had become very uneasy before we got word from Jason. We are middling well, and very much perplexed with our work, accounts, and correspondence. We expect now to go home, if our lives and health are spared, next month, and we feel rejoiced that the time is so near when we hope to meet you all once more. Sometimes my imagination follows those of my family who have passed behind the scenes; and I would almost rejoice to be permitted to make them a personal visit. I have outlived nearly half of all my numerous family, and I ought to realize that in any event a large proportion of my journey is travelled over. You say that you would like very much to have a letter from me, with as much good-advice as I will give. Well, what do you suppose I feel most anxious for in regard to yourself and all at home? Would you believe that I ever had any such care on my mind about them as we read that Job had about his family (not that I would ever think to compare myself with Job)? Would you believe that the long story would be that ye sin not, that you form no foolish attachments, and that you be not a companion of fools?

Your affectionate father,
John Brown

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 142-3

No comments: