Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Rebecca Buffum Spring to the Family of John Brown, November 30, 1859

Eagleswood, Perth Amboy, N. J., Nov. 30th, '59.
To the family of Mr. John Brown.

Dear Friends:

I would gladly say some words of my own to comfort you, and carry you through this great trial and affliction, but I have them not. May the God of your dear father sustain you as He has him.

I heard also from your mother yesterday. Her note came part way with your father's letter. She is with most lovely and excellent friends, who will do all in their power to sustain her. I like better to have Mrs. Brown with Mrs. Lucretia Mott than in any other place, except in that prison. I should like better to have her there in that now sacred place which is now

“‘In the very verge of heaven.’”

SOURCE: Lillie Buffum Chace Wyman and Arthur Crawford Wyman, Elizabeth Buffum Chace, 1806-1899: Her Life and Its Environment, Volume 1, p. 352

No comments: