Sunday, August 17, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, March 19, 1864

Friday, March 19th.

A messenger has just arrived with despatches from below, and a mail, but no letters for me. I have nothing of importance to add, hardly enough in what I have written to repay perusal; you must not permit yourself to suffer anxiety on my account; the good God whose arm till now has shielded me will care for me to the end. It may be permitted us to meet again and again I may enjoy the pleasure of home. If not, let us all pray that we meet in Paradise.

I see by some newspapers that are brought with this mail that the expedition into Mississippi is misrepresented and misunderstood. I assure you it was entirely successful and all was accomplished that was intended or desired.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 360-1

No comments: