Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, April 29, 1864

Mississippi Squadron, Flag Ship “Cricket,”
Alexandria, April 29, 1864.
My Dear Wife:

I am safe after a most severe campaign. I had three fights, battles, on my own hook, inasmuch as I had the honor of bringing up the rear of the army to this point. These three fights were exclusively my own, and in every instance entirely victorious. I have only time to say that my opinion is, we (I mean A. J. Smith's command) will get through safely to the Mississippi; after that, there will be work enough for us. I will give you full details so soon as opportunity offers. Meanwhile, rest assured of my health and personal safety. Admiral Porter is safe and sitting by my side as I write. He is a noble fellow, game as a pheasant; so is old A. J. a perfect trump.

I hope you are all well. I am in first rate spirits, stiff upper lip, “never say die.” Do not be discouraged about me, in the slightest degree. We can whip these fellows whenever we get the chance.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 362-3

No comments: