Monday, August 18, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, March 14, 1863

March 14th.

The time has about come for campaigning, and I hope early next week to leave my room, and go into a tent near Hamilton's Crossing, which is on the railroad, about five miles from Fredericksburg. It is rather a relief to get where there will be less comfort than in a room, as I hope thereby persons will be prevented from encroaching so much upon my time. I am greatly behind in my reports, and am very desirous to get through with them before another campaign commences. Do you remember when my little wife used to come up to my headquarters in Winchester and talk with her esposo? I would love to see her sunny face peering into my room again.  . . . On next Monday there is to be a meeting of the chaplains of my corps, and I pray that good may result.  . . . I am now in camp, but I do not know of any house near by where you could be accommodated, should you come; and, moreover, I might not be here when you would arrive, as the season for campaigning has come. Before this time last year, the campaign had begun, and, so far as we can see, it may begin again at any time. The movements of the enemy must influence ours, and we can't say where we shall be a week hence.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 418-9

No comments: