Thursday, October 23, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Elizabeth Nealley Grimes, September 28, 1863

West Union, Fayette County, September 28th

My course has finally brought me to this place, and my face is at last turned homeward, though I have many angles to make, and about three hundred miles to travel before I reach there.

Stone will be elected by a very large majority; larger, I think, than was ever given to any candidate for Governor. You may be interested to know that the people seem to be unanimously in favor of my reelection to the Senate. So far as I can learn, no Senator or Representative will be elected by the Republicans who is not pledged to my election. Of course this makes me proud, for I have not electioneered for it.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 238

No comments: