Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Elizabeth Nealley Grimes, April 29, 1864

April 29th. — I was never half so comfortable in Washington, without you, as I am now. I am in one of the best, most genteel, quiet, cultivated families I have ever known in Washington; my apartments are two nice, airy, neat, and convenient rooms, and I have the only breakfasts I have ever eaten at any boarding-house in Washington. My colleague Wilson, and Henderson, of Missouri, dine with me. Fessenden will adopt the same mode of life, and begin to dine with us on Monday, and Clark and Morrill are to be admitted to our club during the week. Of course, we have good dinners. So much for my creature comforts.

I have just received a long letter from Dr. Jonathan Blanchard, formerly of Galesburg, the old Orthodox apostle at Galesburg, in which he compliments me in very undeserved terms, and concludes by saying that all of my merits are to be attributed to your instructions and example. I believe that the general impression is, that I am of myself a most perverse mortal, toned and tempered down by you into a reasonably civilized piece of humanity.

We have no news here. Every one is incensed against Banks, and demands his supersedure. Our disaster in Louisiana was much greater than was reported. There will be no battle here for some weeks, probably; in the mean time a vast force is being concentrated. Last Monday more than forty thousand men marched through town, six thousand negroes, on their way southward. The universal opinion was that the negroes made much the best appearance, and there seemed to be the best of feeling between them and the white soldiers.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 260-1

No comments: