Monday, November 24, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, August 16, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, August 16, 1864.

I am right glad the dear children are enjoying themselves. I wish I could be with you and them; but this is out of the question, and there is no use thinking about it. I have made up my mind to stick it out here, regardless of every consideration, except that of doing my duty at all hazards. They shall not say that any personal considerations caused me to turn my back upon the enemy.

Hancock has been fighting for two days across the James, and though he has met with success, yet he has not been able to break through the enemy's lines, he finding them everywhere in strong force. His demonstration, however, has undoubtedly prevented the sending of reinforcements to Early, as we had reason to believe they designed doing. Hancock, with his usual luck, has captured some guns and colors.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 222

No comments: