Sunday, December 14, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 13, 1864

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 13, 1864.

I undoubtedly do not occupy the position I did just after the battle of Gettysburg, and no one will retain any such position in this country, unless he continues to be successful; but when you compare my position with my numerous predecessors, McClellan, Pope, McDowell, Burnside, Hooker, Rosecrans, Banks, Sigel and many others, I think you will admit that my retaining command, and the hold I have at present, is even more creditable than the exaggerated laudation immediately succeeding Gettysburg. Recollect, also, that most persistent efforts have been made by influential men, politicians and generals, to destroy me, without success; and I think you will find reason to be grateful and satisfied, even though you should desire to see more justice done. I don't mean to say I have not been badly treated, but I do mean to say I might have been much worse treated, and that my present status is not without advantages, and does not justify my being discontented.

I am very much distressed to hear that Sergeant1 does not seem well enough to bear a sea voyage, and still hope the fine weather of the fall will enable him to gather strength.
_______________

1 Son of General Mcade.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 234

No comments: