Saturday, July 4, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, April 20, 1863

April 20, 1863.
My dear sister:

I have not heard from you for several days, so long that I began to fear that something had happened to prevent your writing. We are still stuck in the mud, and to-day is one of the rainiest of the season. All the streams are up, and no move can take place for a few days. Yesterday the President, Secretary of War, and General Halleck met General Hooker at Aquia Creek; what the subject of the conversation was of course no one but themselves know. A little piece of good news came this morning from Suffolk, which you will see in the papers. I hear they are making demonstrations to draw supports from this army, as they did last year by sending Jackson into the Shenandoah Valley; I hope the plan may not succeed. Many of our oldest and best regiments are soon to be discharged, as well as the nine months' troops. I am afraid the measures taken to secure their reenlistment will not prove effective. No troops with but a few days to leave are going to risk much in a fight.

I send in this mail two books directed to myself; please lay them aside.

I believe I told you that Mr. Heine had resigned. I received from him to-day a beautiful gold and silver box, for either snuff or tobacco. I liked him very much; he was very true and faithful in the discharge of his duties. I send his photograph, also one of Colonel Batchelder, another very good friend. With love to all,

I am, as ever,
J. S.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 90-1

No comments: