Saturday, August 22, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to Colonel Edward Davis Townsend, December 16, 1863

Headquarters 6th Army Corps,
Welford's Ford, Virginia,
December 16, 1863.
My dear Townsend:

There is a change proposed in the organization of this army, reducing the number of corps to three. Whether I am to be retained as one of the commanders, I do not know or care a straw, but I write this to ask you, when the matter is brought up in Washington, to retain the number of this corps, viz., the 6th.

It is entirely harmonious, and there is a great deal of esprit de corps in it. I do not believe there is a regiment in it that would leave willingly. Another reason is, since its organization there has never been a regiment added or detached; this is not the case with the other corps.

I am afraid the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will be retained, when I should like to see the 2nd, 3rd, and 6th.
I am sure you will assist me in this matter, if in your power. At all events, I rely upon you in letting me know when the subject comes up.

Yours very truly,
John Sedgwick.
Colonel E. D. Townsend,
Assistant Adjutant-General.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 168

No comments: